When you live in the Midwest there are only so many days of warm weather. So naturally, we want to try our best to enjoy every last minute of it. But along with warm nights comes swarms of mosquitoes making it hard to stay out late.
Well, mosquito season is here, and it’s time to start looking for ways to keep our outdoor spaces comfortable and enjoyable. Here are a few of the most effect ways to avoid those relentless pests:
- Eliminate standing water: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so eliminating sources of standing water around your home is the best way to reduce the number of mosquitoes in your area. Empty outside containers that can hold water such as old tires, buckets, planters, toys, or birdbaths.
- Clean and inspect gutters: If rainwater is not able to flow away from your home, it will eventually collect in your gutters which can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Make sure your gutters are clear of debris and that they are in good repair.
- Install a screen tent: Putting a screen around your outdoor eating space will allow you to have a late dinner with no pesky bugs biting you or flying in your food.
- Install fans in outdoor areas: Mosquitoes tend to avoid breezy areas, so installing fans in outdoor eating areas, patios, and pool decks can make these areas less hospitable to mosquitoes.
- One of the most effective ways to control mosquito populations in your yard is by spraying pesticides: While this method can be a bit pricey, it can save a lot of frustration and itching in the long run.
Before you make the decision to purchase pesticides and equipment to spray your yard there are a few things you should know:
- Different mosquito sprays are available depending on the season. At Mimbach Fleet, we offer some of the top pesticides on the market. But each type of spray will offer different levels of effectiveness, so be sure to ask what type of spray is recommended for your specific area during different seasons.
- How long the effects last depend on the type and strength of the spray, as well as the weather conditions. Generally, a good-quality spray will last up to two months, but make sure to follow the directions on the label for the best results.
- Misting equipment allows for a more effective application of the mosquito spray. We have a new innovative product exclusive to Mimbach Fleet, The Mosquito Sniper System. Turn your leaf blower and tank sprayer into a mist blower and target those mosquitoes where they hide.
- Always make sure that any outdoor pets or animals are safely indoors during the spraying process.
- Mosquito spraying should never be done in enclosed areas, like patios or garages.
Spraying for mosquitoes is a great way to keep your outdoor spaces mosquito-free. With the right equipment and the right product, you can enjoy your yard ALL summer for as long as you want without the hassle of pesky bugs.
If you’re looking to make your backyard mosquito-free, visit the experts at your favorite employee-owned store, Mimbach Fleet Supply. We have a wide range of tents, sprays, equipment and more so you can enjoy your summer nights!